The Lost Sheep and the Shepherds.....

During the last week we had readings in the Divine Office speaking about the Shepherds and below is just one which comes from Ezekiel.  It was appropriate during the recent days when a meeting in Ireland of an Association for Irish Priests took place . It was said that there were 300 Priests at that meeting which was not the case.  There were less than two hundred.  While we are called to pray and not criticise our Priests, I would just say that this Association's ideals has nothing to offer me, or any lay Catholic, Religious or Priest who wishes to follow Christ and His Church.  I will leave the words to the Lord in Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 34:1-6,11-16,23-31

The word of the Lord was addressed to me as follows: Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them:

Shepherds, the Lord says this: Trouble for the shepherds of Israel who feed themselves! Shepherds ought to feed their flock, yet you have fed on milk, you have dressed yourselves in wool, you have sacrificed the fattest sheep, but failed to feed the flock. You have failed to make weak sheep strong, or to care for the sick ones, or bandage the wounded ones. You have failed to bring back strays or look for the lost. On the contrary, you have ruled them cruelly and violently. For lack of a shepherd they have scattered, to become the prey of any wild animal; they have scattered far. My flock is straying this way and that, on mountains and on high hills; my flock has been scattered all over the country; no one bothers about them and no one looks for them.

For the Lord says this: I am going to look after my flock myself and keep all of it in view. As a shepherd keeps all his flock in view when he stands up in the middle of his scattered sheep, so shall I keep my sheep in view. I shall rescue them from wherever they have been scattered during the mist and darkness. I shall bring them out of the countries where they are; I shall gather them together from foreign countries and bring them back to their own land. I shall pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in every inhabited place in the land. I shall feed them in good pasturage; the high mountains of Israel will be their grazing ground. There they will rest in good grazing ground; they will browse in rich pastures on the mountains of Israel. I myself will pasture my sheep, I myself will show them where to rest–it is the Lord who speaks. I shall look for the lost one, bring back the stray, bandage the wounded and make the weak strong. I shall watch over the fat and healthy. I shall be a true shepherd to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments. Anonymous comments are no longer taken.